Some more from the small pad

(Pardon the bullet/note format, as these are being sent in via a mobile device) Gogulla is so patient with the biscuit. He buys time and uses the boards well - eventually finding open space for a teammate to swoop in and carry on. In 4-4's, Gerbe just came breaking down the right side and did his spin-o-rama backhand from the hash - only to be stopped by Dennis. Schutz just made a fabulous thread the needle pass to a breaking Orpik on the way back. Eidsness stuffed the down low attempt. Orpik has made a few safe plays with the puck in the 4-4's. He looks to have improved his footwork since last summer. Eidsness is very strong in the shootout drills. Weber tried to do the Gerbe spin, but was stopped by Eidsness. Schiestel has impressive hands, quickly going high backhand in the shootout. His skating shined in the 3-3 portion. Kennedy is working hard. He's got some rough edges to his style and has had some issues getting in tight against big defenders today.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 ×

What's this I hear about Gogulla playing in Germany for another year?

Thursday, June 26, 2008 ×

"Schiestel has impressive hands, quickly going high backhand in the shootout. His skating shined in the 3-3 portion."

He is one of the finest skaters in his league, keeps at top speed even with the puck.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 ×

It's believed that his contract with the Sabres (and perhaps Kolner Haie as well) contains a clause that allows him to return to Germany if he's designated for an AHL assignment.

I suppose if one connects the dots, then yes, he's returning to Germany - unless he wants to stay in North America. It's hard to imagine him making the Sabres out of camp.

I hope he's inspired by training camp in the fall, and makes the decision to start his NA career this season. By the looks of things, he'd be right there in the hunt for first call-ups.

Gaf
Thursday, June 26, 2008 ×

Nice updates. Maybe you should get Dave to send over a couple 'guest columns' as you cant be everywhere at once... I'm really high on Allard, and Schiestel, I think they both have the game to make it to NHL. Maybe not 1st pairing or top 6 forward, but 'glue' guys who can be relied upon in all situations.. Maybe I'm wrong, but would love to see them get their shot in 09-10.. Keep the updates coming and thanks!!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 ×

I'd think the same w/ Gogulla & would also imagine him being one of the 1st in line for call ups. I'm hoping the Sabres feel the same way about Allard. His size is definately something we could use. Same w/ Gogulla.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 ×

...I feel the same way about Allard, Gaf

BGM
Thursday, June 26, 2008 ×

It should be interesting to see what the front office does since there seem to be a decent sized clump of players who may all reach NHL skill within a short time frame. Do they go almost all youth and dump some of the more established [i.e., expensive] NHLers, or do they mix and match based on trade value and potential?

We shall see.

Thanks for the updates, Bakes. A real lifesaver for us non-WNYers.

Friday, June 27, 2008 ×

I remember seeing Allard in last years camp and he stuck out to me. He has size and has decent point production. Bakes if you are going tonight maybe give us a little more in depth view of him. Keep up the good work!