3/27 Recap: Brennan picks up pace

In the NCAA East Region semi-final, Drew MacKenzie was even as #3 seed Vermont defeated #2 Yale, 4-1. With their first tourney win in 13 years, the Catamounts have a Saturday date with an Air Force club fresh off a victory of top-seeded Michigan. In Montreal, T.J. Brennan had two goals and two assists in the third period for another #1 performance as the Junior erupted for six goals in the final 20 minutes in their 7-0 shutout of Rouyn-Noranda. The output gives Brennan 10 points in the series, good for seventh overall in QMJHL playoff scoring, after a 34-points regular season. The win gives the Juniors a 3-2 series lead over the Huskies. Elsewhere in the Q, J.S. Allard had a goal and an assist as Quebec closed out their opening round series with a 7-1 trouncing of Baie-Comeau. With two goals and six assists, Allard has registered at least a point in each of the Remparts' first five playoff games. Paul Byron had an assist and a game-high nine shots on goal as Gatineau needed overtime to defeat Bathurst, 4-3. The five-game series win moves the Olympiques into the second round. Byron leads the team in scoring with nine points. In the WHL, Tyler Ennis scored his eighth goal of the playoffs as Medicine Hat suffered a 5-3 loss at Swift Current. Now trailing the series 3-2, the Tigers will look to force a game seven on Sunday. Ennis' eight marks sits atop the WHL leaderboard.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 ×

tj brennan seems to be playing very well . He is hot at the right time. Is there a chance they move him to AHL when his season is over?

Saturday, March 28, 2009 ×

I'd say there's a very good chance that they bring him in depending on the timing of it all. Regier hinted at this during a February interview. Schiestel goes in this bucket too.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 ×

do players have to be signed before they are assigned to the ahl teams?

Mike
Saturday, March 28, 2009 ×

I am almost certain you need to sign the player before they can play for any professional team (see Corey Tropp after being suspended). Buffalo didn't want to sign Tropp b/c it would've eliminated his amateur eligibility, but he couldn't play in the A without being signed.

Bakes may be able to answer about loopholes, but I've never heard of any.

This is both Schiestel and Brennan's last year of junior eligibility (at least before we have to make the decision whether to sign or let go by June 30th). Therefore, signing them would actually help with not experiencing a Mike Zigomanis, fax got stuck on its way to NHL headquarters, blunder.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 ×

Drafted players can sign an ATO (amateur tryout contract) and play in the AHL or NHL without having a "standard player contract" signed. Justin Abdelkader left Michigan State and played for the Red Wings late last year on an ATO. He signed a SPC shortly thereafter. I have to check for "clear day roster" implications.

Betty
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 ×

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Betty