Maxime Legault goes to Buffalo at #194

With their final pick of the day, the Sabres have selected tough, 20-year old RW Maxime Legault of the Shawinigan Cataractes. Standing 6'2, 195-pounds, Legault had a coming out party in the 2009 QMJHL playoffs, scoring 10 goals including two short-handed in the Cats 21-game run to the President's Cup final. A late-rising role player, Legault registered 13 regular season fights over the past two seasons while potting a total of 34 goals and 54 points in that 94-game span. He made his hay this season as a leader when given regular ice time, earning a +22 while being a guy who finished plays low. We said "team toughness" would be a theme this draft, and the Sabres certainly did not disappoint.

Dave
Saturday, June 27, 2009 ×

Kevin Devine on Legault in the playoffs: "He's like a missle out there."

Saturday, June 27, 2009 ×

I was hoping for jonas Naatinan in the second somehow, to see him go with the pick before in the third to montreal grrr. I feel the Sabres may have overemphasized size and grit and drafted little talent this year.

Sunday, June 28, 2009 ×

This years draft i give the sabres a C+ bc we mostly got grit and not a ton of skill...i was most surprised we got knapp maybe they are a little shaky with enroth getting drafted to the KHL so they went off the board a little?

Sunday, June 28, 2009 ×

I'm pretty sure Legault was drafted for Portland.

10:50 - I think this was a corrective draft, meaning they had to do for balance. The league's smallest group of forward prospects just got bigger.

10:42 - They simply need more goalies in the pipeline. Zero to do with Enroth/KHL. Jhonas wants to play in the NHL 100%.

JohnnyP
Sunday, June 28, 2009 ×

Couldnt have said it any better than 10:50. Though I'd consider taking some points off for not addressing center, I think we might do that in free agency and gain some future picks through trades, so maybe some opinions or grades of the draft change after free agency. I wonder if their offseason plans involve us potentially being set at center for a long time (referring to trades and free agents). I know they already want Kennedy playing center for them, but do you feel they are counting on a few centers in the system like Schutz to be starting centers soon? Might they consider keeping Adam at center and converting Ennis to center if they have to?

Sunday, June 28, 2009 ×

Even though I'd personally like to see it, I don't think you're going to see Ennis at center. He and Gerbe are going to be like Gionta buzzing down wings while guys in the Foligno mold make sure they have space to operate. Ennis is going to give teams trouble at the pro level no matter where he's at because he can draw attention yet find teammates when the heat is on.

Regarding Adam, he likes playing center but I'm leaning back to him ending up on a wing as well.

Kennedy will challenge as a center. He flop-flopped back to wing at the tail of the last season, but that doesn't mean a thing when considering Lindy juggles lines like mad with the top club. He's smart and likes to carry the puck making him one of the more natural options down the middle.

Schutz still has some time to put in, but I think he's the #1 greatest benefactor of Zagrapan deciding to play in Russia for a little while.

Sunday, June 28, 2009 ×

Thanks for all the hard work and insight Kris you put into this site.

With the draft over, are there any guys that didn't get drafted that you would like to see get invited to prospects camp? I know you liked the goalie Wyer. Anyone you heard of that is on their radar?