2013 Mock Draft now up at Sabres.com

Happy draft season!

While planning the usual Sabres draft preview that will appear in this space, the partnership with Sabres.com is alive and well in the (almost) summer months. First up in a series of articles that will appear on the team site is the 2013 Mock draft - round one.

I encourage you to give it a read and let me know what you think.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 ×

I have Lindholm as my #2 target for pick eight. Can't wait for the full preview!

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 ×

Kris, I'm very disappointed with your 2 picks in mock. So, for the 3rd year in a row, you have Buf taking a Euro. I don't think so. And then with the 2nd pick, you go with a Yankee.

Do you have a problem with Canadians???

Do you have a problem with the 2nd best hockey league in the world, the CHL???

Has Buf had success with Crazy Canucks in the past???

So what is the problem???

Canada = Hockey.

Shoot the puck.

Hodgson for Captain.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 ×

Pick #8 - Batman

Pick #16 - Spiderman

Pick 2nd rd - Swedish Superman

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 ×

Yes, you got me. I have a HUGE problem with the CHL - so much that I spend 20-30 hours a week of my free time during the regular season watching the OHL/QMJHL/WHL hockey. Kind of a ridiculous comment. If I had such a problem with Canadian players, why would I maintain that MacKinnon is clearly my #1 over my fellow American Jones? Why would I spend a chunk of airtime two Friday's ago praising Sean Monahan?

The draft is about getting the best player for your team building. Period. If you watched Lindholm and didn't know where he was from, maybe you'd agree with the pick?

You might have a point about bias if we were talking goalies. The stats don't lie.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 ×

Kris: I am a Canadian. That guy is an idiot. I truly think the usa has caught up to us in hockey and will be the possibly take Gold in Socha. By far the best sabre site going. Keep up the great work.

Doug

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 ×

Thanks, Doug. I was a little bummed seeing that comment because I think it's clear that I appreciate the Canadian game. The mock is for pure entertainment, not taking sides in A vs B country battles. Just draft the best players!

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 ×

Kris: Amen !! Doug

Thursday, June 06, 2013 ×

Kris, awesome job, ignorance is bliss for some. I like what I hear about the Finnish guy Ristolainen or Nikustkin (Sorry spellings) and I'm not big on Euros. I've seen them play physical and skate like the wind. Both very nice attributes. I like Monihan or Burikovsky at 16. This is all assuming we do not move up. Thanks again!

Friday, June 07, 2013 ×

Thank you for writing such a wonderful article!

Saturday, June 08, 2013 ×

What a douchebag. I remember that clown from last yr. What an unwarranted and childish accustation that Kris hates Canadians. Last I checked, Sweden produced some pretty damn good all-around leaders. We were abysmal in puck-possesion last yr and got little help on defense from our top 2 lines - get the guy that fits the bill regardless of his nationality (unless there is a high probablity they will end up playing in another league). I'd also be thinking about building chemistry, and doing that by bringing in fellow teammates or countrymen (ex. Lindholm + Larsson + Enroth. Armia + Ristolainen. Grigo + Erne)

On another note, I wonder if Darcy is looking to move up from 16, and not 8. NJ has only 4 picks in this draft (if my research is correct). They pick 9th.

Sunday, June 09, 2013 ×

Is it too risky to give up assets to move up and take a guy that is a KHLer?

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 ×

Good post! I really like it.

Bring Back Palffy
Friday, June 14, 2013 ×

i mean, just look at '08 (for unpredictable d translation to the N). i know this isn't the sabres burden, but how does anybody with a shot at a generational CHL forward talent instead choose a toolsy D-guy whose effectiveness at the NHL level when he's a 25-year-old isn't in the least bit clear. we can usually see the great forwards coming (MacKinnon). Great defenseman don't grow on 17-year-old trees (yes, I realize I tortured the shit out of that metaphor, but you get the point. Probably). On the sabs, if they can't see that a shot at a young superstar is worth every valuable piece on their current roster/pipeline, they can't see anything. Thanks, Kris, for your work.

Monday, June 17, 2013 ×

No more Europeans please.

Moto
Monday, June 17, 2013 ×

at bring back palffy: just wondering how mackinnon turned into a lemieux/crosby-like "once in a generation" talent...do agree with your overall premise, though...many like the chicago/pittsburgh style of rebuild and would sell the farm for a top-three...but the la kings model as well as the b's rebuild are just as viable

BBP
Monday, June 17, 2013 ×

You got me. I've only seen him play but a few times anyway, and that on television. Give me a break man I'm warming up my off-season hyperbole.

Dave
Saturday, June 22, 2013 ×

Hey, just wondering if you will be posting your annual draft preview? Or are you writing one up for the Rangers and one for everyone else? ;)