Sabres hitting the Beach?

An "On The Fly" segment on the NHL Network this week had a mention of the Sabres trying to ship veteran winger Maxim Afinogenov to Vancouver as part of a deal that would land the Sabres the #10 pick in next month's draft. GM Darcy Regier spoke of Afinogenov's possible departure at his postseason press conference, and it seems that Canucks fans have always had an interest in the speedy Russian since the days of Pavel Bure. Already holding picks 13 and 26 (from San Jose), the Sabres could have three first round picks in one of the deeper drafts this decade. The Sabres rumored target with that #10 pick? Kyle Beach, the 6'3, 208-pound forward from Everett of the WHL. A player who goes hard to the net, Beach brings a powerful mix of skill and physical play that could allow him to immediately jump to the professional ranks. He'd likely be gone by the time the 13th selection rolls around. While piling up points and PIMs (27-33-60 222 PIM in 60 GP), his style also contributed to two concussions (from fists) and a fractured orbital bone (from a puck) in a span between December and March. Character issues have been raised in the past, but the impact forward could thrive given time to mature with the right organization. Is he really a gamble? There's no question that his tools would be a welcome addition to the Sabres pipeline.

Chainshot
Saturday, May 24, 2008 ×

Beach? Hmmmm....

I would suspect the VanCan's might want more than just Max on a one-year deal to fork over #10 overall, but then again, Gillis has to find more goals in front of Luongo. With Naslund possibly returning home, they're thinner than ever.

Man are those concussions a scary thing though....

Kyle
Saturday, May 24, 2008 ×

Assuming that the deal went through, that Beach is available at that pick, and pretending that you're in Darcy's loafers -- do you make that pick, Kris?

Or is it possible that #10 & 13 get bundled for something in the #3-6 range?

Honestly asking -- I don't pretend to know the risk/rewards here.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 ×

The Sabres have done a good job of amassing young leadership with guys like Roy, Paille, Butler, Weber, Pominville, Gaustad, etc. there to reel in a player with his temperament. If they only had one pick in the first round, I'd pay greater attention to the red flags. If they somehow can acquire #10 while keeping #13, then I'd be apt to roll the dice on a Beach-type given the team's current needs. I'm a fan of Beach's skills, but not so much the sideshow that has reared it's head at various points (as we've discussed). That 2nd concussion was a sucker punch no doubt, but few were surprised that it transpired.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 ×

I was addressing Chain's comment previously. Regarding your comment Kyle, if 10+13 can get bundled to move up, the Sabres should be looking solely at Zach Bogosian. Big righty on the blueline who does it all *drool*. Otherwise, sit back and roll the dice with Beach and back it up with another solid pick at 13. This draft is jammed with potential and flexibility. I'd prefer Regier actually go quantity over quality in this instance given how their picks lay out (and how it seems the Sabres will continue to rely on youth and fall into feeder mode for other clubs). Beach can fit into things rather well, but not at the expense of the other high picks that they have.

Regarding risks vs rewards, that raises an interesting point - who's the greater risk with the greater reward - Beach or Filatov? Alas, the beauty of a draft.

Chainshot
Saturday, May 24, 2008 ×

I like the total number of selections and if they cash out Kryukov for the compensation (if they can), 13, 26, 43 and 45 would be a solid haul with the purported strength of the draft. A high-risk/high-reward offensive player really fits. If they move for someone like Beach... that would be high-risk/high-reward. I could live with it.

BGM
Saturday, May 24, 2008 ×

See, I'm thinking if they added #10 to their stable, then they should grab a Boedkker or Wilson. Then if Beach is around at #13 you take him. Adding 10 would only bypass one team, but one team can make all the difference, like the difference between Marc Staal and Zagrapan.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 ×

I'm with you on Boedker, BGM. I just can't see a scenario where he's there even at #10.

gaf
Sunday, May 25, 2008 ×

Kind of off topic, whats your take on the transfer agreement situation?? What are the chances we see Enroth in the AHL next year? Do you think the Sabres will ever think about drafting a Euro in the 1st or 2nd round w/out a transfer agreement in place? I cant imagine they would as they dont have the deep pockets (for hockey anyway) to fork over to a Euro club. Also, whats your take on the Kennedy situation? much ado about nothing, or is this same ol' same ol' Sabres mgt hard balling a player. I get why many people dont think he is worth anything near the rookie max, but that figure has stayed flat compared to the cap, right? If thats the case, what Kennedy is looking for is chump change. I guess its a bonus structure issue, I cant see him making the leap w/out 1-2 years in the AHL though

BoDragon
Sunday, May 25, 2008 ×

Are three first round draft picks necessary? Max is worth getting a ready-to-go player, which is what we're looking for. We must have players for winning now (ready-to-go players) and winning later (draft picks).

Sunday, May 25, 2008 ×

I don't think three firsts are necessary, but they could always be parlayed into something bigger themselves - like a defenseman for example. The thing about this rumor is that you're ridding yourself of a logjam at forward, and a $3.5 salary.

Pittsburgh is in the finals now mostly because they had so many high draft picks to assemble a club with (Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Stahl, Whitney; and Armstrong/Esposito used to get Hossa). While not quite the same (Buffalo can't get Stamkos this year), three firsts can't hurt you if you use them right.

Monday, May 26, 2008 ×

Gaf, I don't see any reason why Enroth won't be in the AHL. He's a rookie max IMO, so I'm not sure what the deal is. He has no club ties in SWE right now. I'm confident he'll be in NA next year. Otherwise, maybe the Pirates can dress their goalie coach like the Amerks had to...

With the Transfer Agreement stuff, I think Russians are the big mystery right now. Everyone else is fair game with no altered drafting strategy. The parties are haggling over where the Euros develop, and how it basically stinks that they fall under the "must be signed within two years" rule, but the Sabres style has always been to let them sit overseas anyways.

Kennedy - up in the air. He's a good player, but I don't know how much leverage he has. I'm always for kids finishing school, especially if they're not going to play in the NHL right away. If he goes back, I don't think that means the end for him with Buffalo like so many are quick to assume.

If I do leave school, I gladly accept the ~$35-50K+ whatever at the AHL and work my tail off to earn the half a million my pro contract pays. I'm not remarking about Kennedy's character one bit. It's a win for him either way - degree versus waiting a hair longer to live that dream. The guy will be treated like gold in Buffalo, and could make some extra coin clowning in local ads with Kaleta.

Ruckus007
Monday, May 26, 2008 ×

Interesting rumor. I certainly agree that Vancouver would want more than just Max for the 10th pick - the 26th maybe? - but as the framework of a deal I like it.

I've been dead against drafting Beach but if the Sabres do end up with 3 picks I'd be willing to roll the dice. And having the extra pick might justify slightly overdrafting someone like Teubert.

Beach, Teubert, Colborne

That would certainly be an intriguing first round. Or maybe something like...

Bailey, Beach, Ness.

Obviously the key is they would be giving themselves options.

Monday, May 26, 2008 ×

Ruck, I'm right there with ya. Don't go out of your way to get him (moving Max is not "out of the way"), but take him if you get some flexibility.

I remember having a conversation with Chain at a game this year about Beach. At that point, he was fresh off the "punch", and I didn't want any part of him. I never like seeing a kid get walloped like that. Since then, he battled injuries and ended the season poorly. Some may say a trade up isn't necessary. I disagree.

I think you'll find the draft preview interesting. It's on the way...Thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 ×

Beach is the one guy that stood out to me cuz of his size & penalty minutes. That would be an awsome pick if he's available. If not, we still have 3 first round picks.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 ×

...3 first rounders if we trade Max for one

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 ×

Wanted to throw this crazy scenerio out there no matter how unlikely it is...it would be interesting if we did aquire another 1st round pick & considered packaging 2 of the 3 picks plus a prospect(maybe Zagrapan) to get the 1st overall pick. Hell, if it means getting a higher pick and totaling 3 first rounders, I wouldn't mind throwing Lydman in a trade w/ Max w/ hopes of siging Orpik in free agency, & if that doesnt pan out we could always bring Teppo back to replace Lydman w/ hopes of Butler making it after Teppo leaves.

Wouldn't mind offseason or deadline deals involving getting first round picks in next year's draft to increase our chances in drawing the 1st overall pick... John Tavares

Friday, June 20, 2008 ×

to all of yall what would you think if buffalo did manage to get three first rounders and say drafted Beach, teubert, and Tyler Ennis first round. then say pick up the staal brother third and the big russian defender Voiynov second? As well on defense buffalo seems to like puck movers they might be very interested in Sbisa. curious as to your opinion on him? as well do you think buffalo would look to try to trade up to get a guy like Luke Schenn or Nikita Filatov?