Allard heads back to draft

With no deal made by Monday's signing deadline for 2007 major-junior draft picks, the Buffalo Sabres have effectively parted ways with former fifth round selection, Jean-Simon Allard. A forward with the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL, Allard will re-enter the June draft as a 20-year old. The 6'3, 192-pounder grew some as a player with St. John's in 2007-08, scoring 16 goals and 44 assists for the Fog Devils in their last season on the Rock. That year, Allard skated as a teammate of current Sabres prospects T.J. Brennan and Luke Adam. With the Foggies relocating to Montreal for 2008-09, the team made a splash at the 2008 QMJHL draft by sending Allard up the river to Quebec City in exchange for native son, Angelo Esposito. Allard's debut with Patrick Roy's Remparts was set back when he broke his jaw on the opening day of training camp. After a quicker-than-expected recovery, he got out of the gate fairly well by scoring 12 points (3+9) in his first nine games through mid-October. Despite the nice start, Allard never took full advantage of the talented Remparts roster that featured a total of eight NHL draft picks including offensive minded Mikhail Stefanovich, Kelsey Tessier, and Dmitry Kugryshev. His production cooled as a result, as it would take another 23 games before Allard would net his next 12 points. Toting a finesse approach while often unwilling to go to the tough areas, Allard finished the year with 16-40-56 in 66 games. Regardless of Marek Zagrapan's KHL designs, the free agent signing of Travis Turnbull and the extended look given to flashy speedster Paul Byron provided a bit of foreshadowing for the non-signing. Allard's style may be best suited for European action after one more year of junior, as it's doubtful that a team selects the re-entry at the end of the month.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

Hey when will draft preview v2 be up.....sad to hear about allard always liked him and wish he was given a shot

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

Eh, we'll sign Orpik, at least he uses his size. Still goes to show you how we really need an impact Center. Looks like you can pump everyone below Zagrapan up a notch on the Prospect Rankings. Such a disappointment when your 1st round picks turn into nothing.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

Don't forget we still got Schutz in the system, and I wonder how much they liked Ellis

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

WGR is reporting that the sabres worked out a contract with Allard but I havent seen this anywhere else...hope its true

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

i heard it 3 times on WGR sports update as well

did not give length or terms

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

Sorry for the delay here, folks. Lord loves a workin' man...

I'd like to see/hear WGR's story, or at least when this was going down. I'm guessing early in the day given the comment times.

While holding 550 in high regards, especially Paul Hamilton who needs to be recognized as one of the best in the biz, they made an egregious error if they were reporting that Allard is inked. He is not.

I'm assuming they've made a retraction by now if this truly was the case.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

12:44 - 2.0 of the draft preview will likely be up tomorrow. It's been done since before the combine, but I wanted to add info where necessary after the workouts and am forced to create a new depth chart in light of recent developments.

I get excited about the draft preview. Junior hockey is a passion, and I probably watch too much. It'll be fun to let it hang out again and see if the team agrees with some of the assessments made after a successful go-through last year.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

Sorry, the above was for 12:28...

Regarding Orpik, 12:44, I agree in thinking he has something to add to Portland.

I'll keep Zagrapan on the board until June 15th. If the Sabres make a "bona fide offer", they will retain his NHL rights even though he's definitely heading to the KHL. Since he's still of "prospect age", I'll track him if/until his rights are officially relinquished.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

Thanks Kris for the update on v2 I kinda wish you were part of the sabres scouting department Ive liked what Ive seen of your choices for the draft

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

glennie or kassion would make my day on draft day

cybresabre
Tuesday, June 02, 2009 ×

Can't wait for 2.0.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 ×

Glennie and Kassian would be perect and could possibly play in the nhl this year

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 ×

Bakes, I know you've been an advocate of trading Roy to potentially move up or get more picks in the draft and replacing his productivity in the process. I would love your opinion on this: apparently teams have been doing trade talk with San Jose for Marleau, Clowe, and Ehrhov... Thoughts?

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 ×

I would target Clowe any day of the week. Marleau is a player I like with a salary I do not like. Tough prop with a decreasing cap.

Ehroff I'm indifferent to. Big shot from the point, and it'd make for one heck of an Oktobefest celebration with Hecht, Gogulla, Schutz, but I think guys like Gill and Scuderi would be primary blueline targets with where the Sabres are at right now.

I arrive at the Roy scenario as a way of giving your team a new look while not taking a junk salary back in return. It's real easy to say trade Hecht or Pominville. I actually think you keep Pominville and his cap number, as he will rebound if you put him on a line with 19 and 26.

Roy is a good player, and making a move with the Kings makes your offseason job tougher, but he is replaceable. Maybe he's more effective with another year under his belt, but I'm not precluding a deal because of the $4M argument. It's still a good amount of coin. It sweetens the asset. Small market or not, I just assume that the Sabres try to make the team better by leaving no stone unturned. It's not a disaster by any means if he remains.

ricogarion
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 ×

I still wish this team could think bigger and if they were considering dealing Roy then go to Tampa and get that second overall position.Select Victor Hedman and pair him on your blueline with Myers and your set for a decade.Your defense gains instant credibility.

DTValente
Wednesday, June 03, 2009 ×

I have heard WGR is reporting that Allard signed this afternoon... I would rather see us taking a pass on him... have you heard anything yet?

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 ×

DTValente - This actually came up in a conversation today. The Sabres officially relinquished his rights when a deal wasn't done by 5:00 on Monday. Once that passed, Allard can't be signed.

The example used today was Mike Zigomanis. We've all heard a variation of the fax machine story at this point. They supposedly agreed to a deal but missed the paperwork filing deadline. That deal was then void.

As far as WGR, I was under the impression that they retracted the erroneous report from yesterday. Mistakes happen.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 ×

ricogarion,

I'm all for getting guys who are going to protect the paint. Hedman is a one-of-a-kind guy with his size and puckhandling skills, and he would no doubt give your D instant credibility.

It makes sense to draft a legit player like Hedman, and I see Kane as someone who can be just as impactful by filling lanes in the opposite end of the rink. He's still 17, torched the dub for 48 goals last season, and is growing by the day. The kid will be cut like a diamond when he's 22-23. Does he sometimes look bored and take a night off here and there? Yes, I think so. Is it often? Not from what I've gathered. Granted I live back east and don't watch the Giants every week. What I've seen though is a kid who can change the whole forward complexion once he fills out and gets his skates wet.

Dream scenario.

I have two other guys that I really like for #13, with another two knocking at the door.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 ×

Just as long as the team gets bigger, tougher, and meaner I don't care who they draft this year. In reagrds to Allard, from the games I saw, he is soft, can be lazy, and at times does not come back to his own end when he really needs to. just like Zagrapan, time to move on with someone with more character and grit.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 ×

No Bakes, dream scenario would be someone that works for the Sabres says "oh kris baker says we should try to get Evander Kane so we should try to get him." Cuz you man!

Thursday, June 04, 2009 ×